James G. Bohm
Mr. Bohm practices in all of our main practice areas and has substantial experience in construction defect litigation, business litigation, trust and probate litigation and personal injury litigation. He has represented developers, general contractors, sub-contractors and design professionals in construction defect litigation. He has represented Fortune 500 companies in various complex business litigation, ranging from contract disputes to claims relating to divestiture of assets. He has represented both trustees and beneficiaries in complex, high dollar trust litigation. He has extensive trial experience with a proven track record.
Practice Areas & Focus
- Appellate Law
- Asset Protection
- Business and Succession Planning
- Business Law
- Commercial & Corporate
- Common Interest Developments
- Conservatorship & Guardianship
- Consumer Law
- Construction Defect Law
- Elder Law
- Employment Law
- Estate Planning
- Insurance law
- Personal Injury Defense
- Real Estate Law
- Retirement Planning
- Pepperdine University, School of Law, J.D. Magna Cum Laude, Class Salutatorian (1987)
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. (1984)
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Washington
- U.S. District Court (Southern, Central & Northern Districts of California)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Orange County Chapter
- Orange County Bar Association
- California Survey Editor for the Pepperdine Law Review (1986-87)
- Recipient of the West Publishing Company’s Award for Highest Scholastic Average for the 1984-85 Pepperdine academic year.
- American Jurisprudence Awards in the areas of Contracts, Constitutional Law, Creditor’s Rights and Bankruptcy, Remedies, and Criminal Procedure.
- Author, “California Supreme Court Survey, September 1985-1986” (13 Pepperdine Law Review 861, 1101 (1986))
- Co-Editor and Co-Author, “Petroleum Marketing Practices Act Update” (1989-90)
- Member of the Board of Editorial Advisors for the publication Managing Partner (1999 – 2002)
- Speaker, “Extricating Your Company From the Deathgrip Lease” and “Selecting and Monitoring Outside Counsel”, ICN Conference on High Technology Procurement (Orlando, Florida, September 2001)
- Author, “Prosecuting Your Business Tort Claims: A Defense Perspective”, Advocate (September 2003)
- Moderator, “Jury Selection, Opening Statement and Closing Argument”; “Trying The Business Punitive Damages Case”, Association of Business Trial Lawyers 30th Annual Seminar (Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 2003)
- Moderator, “When Things Go Wrong”, Association of Business Trial Lawyers 33rd Annual Conference, (Maui, Hawaii, October 2006)”
- Elected to the 2004 Presidential Elector College
- Commissioner, Orange County Sheriff’s Advisory Council (2005 – present)
- Pepperdine University, School of Law, Board of Visitors (2008 – present)
- Obtained a complete defense verdict after a six week jury trial wherein our client, the president of an automobile manufacturing company, was accused of fraud, conversion and securities violations by an investor in and creditor of the company. Plaintiffs sought over $12 million in damages and were represented by a nationally known trial lawyer (who was a lead prosecutor in the government’s case against Ken Lay and Jeffery Skilling of Enron Fame). It was reported that he had never previously lost a case. Plaintiffs spent millions of dollars in prosecuting their cases and had up to seven lawyers at trial. Our client had only one lawyer at trial.
- Obtained a $2 million award for a Fortune 500 client following an extensive jury trial in Los Angeles Superior Court where claims of over $12 million were brought against that client relating to the divestiture of one of its subsidiaries.
- Successfully defended a real estate agent where the agent was alleged to have breached her fiduciary duties in representing her own client by purchasing her client’s prospective property and obtaining a alleged secret profit there from, with no resulting liability to our client.
- Successfully prosecuted an action, in a jury trial, against a real estate agent where the agent was alleged to have made a secret profit.
- Obtained a fraud verdict against a publicly traded leasing company in favor of a major wholesale food distributor, in claims relating to the leasing company’s contract and selling practices. This was the first successful lawsuit in over 200 similar cases wherein a verdict against the leasing company was obtained. The leasing company was represented by one of the nation’s top law firms and spent over $5 million in attorney’s fees.
- Successfully defended a company that was alleged to be a joint venture partner with a debtor company, in an action brought by the debtor company’s creditor, resulting in no liability to the client.
- Obtained a jury verdict in excess of $300,000 for a property owner client whose property sustained water damage from an adjoining landowner.
- Successfully tried a probate court matter resulting in an award to a former trustee of a trust in the amount of $500,000 a year for life.
- Successfully prosecuted a jury trial matter for our client, an eye surgeon, against a national fumigation company relating to a burglary at her house during the fumigation process.
- Successfully prosecuted a court trial matter for our client, a public corporation, against a former employee for fraud and conversion.
- Successfully represented Walt Disney’s grandson in replacing the trustee on two of his trusts worth in the tens of millions of dollars after a hotly contested three week trial in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Settled a personal injury case for $1,250,000 after obtaining a jury verdict for liability in a bifurcated trial in Orange County Superior Court.
- Successfully prosecuted a jury trial matter in Orange County Superior Court in a business dispute, wherein our client, a Russian businessman, sued an Orange County business for breach of contract relating to the company’s sales in Russia.
- Obtained a $400,000 jury verdict in favor of our clients in a three-month defamation trial in Orange County Superior Court where the jury awarded more than was requested.
- Successfully defended a law firm and one of its partners in a jury trial in Orange County Superior Court where claims in excess of $10 million were being asserted against the law firm and its partner and recovered on the law firm’s fee claim against the client.
- Successfully defeated a minor’s compromise petition after a six-day trial in Los Angeles Superior Court relating to an underlying trust litigation settlement wherein claims in excess of $30 million were being asserted. The proponents of the minor’s compromise were being represented by three major Los Angeles law firms and typically had five attorneys at trial.
- Successfully tried a contested conservatorship trial in San Diego Superior Court.