James G. Bohm
Mr. Bohm practices in all of our main practice areas and has substantial experience in construction defect litigation, business litigation, trust and probate litigation and personal injury litigation. He has represented developers, general contractors, sub-contractors and design professionals in construction defect litigation. He has represented Fortune 500 companies in various complex business litigation, ranging from contract disputes to claims relating to divestiture of assets. He has represented both trustees and beneficiaries in complex, high dollar trust litigation. He has extensive trial experience with a proven track record.
Practice Areas & Focus
- Appellate Law
- Asset Protection
- Business and Succession Planning
- Business Law
- Commercial & Corporate
- Common Interest Developments
- Conservatorship & Guardianship
- Consumer Law
- Construction Defect Law
- Elder Law
- Employment Law
- Estate Planning
- Insurance law
- Personal Injury Defense
- Real Estate Law
- Retirement Planning
- Pepperdine University, School of Law, J.D. Magna Cum Laude, Class Salutatorian (1987)
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. (1984)
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Washington
- U.S. District Court (Southern, Central & Northern Districts of California)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Board of Governors of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Orange County Chapter
- Orange County Bar Association
- California Survey Editor for the Pepperdine Law Review (1986-87)
- Recipient of the West Publishing Company’s Award for Highest Scholastic Average for the 1984-85 Pepperdine academic year.
- American Jurisprudence Awards in the areas of Contracts, Constitutional Law, Creditor’s Rights and Bankruptcy, Remedies, and Criminal Procedure.
- Author, “California Supreme Court Survey, September 1985-1986” (13 Pepperdine Law Review 861, 1101 (1986))
- Co-Editor and Co-Author, “Petroleum Marketing Practices Act Update” (1989-90)
- Member of the Board of Editorial Advisors for the publication Managing Partner (1999 – 2002)
- Speaker, “Extricating Your Company From the Deathgrip Lease” and “Selecting and Monitoring Outside Counsel”, ICN Conference on High Technology Procurement (Orlando, Florida, September 2001)
- Author, “Prosecuting Your Business Tort Claims: A Defense Perspective”, Advocate (September 2003)
- Moderator, “Jury Selection, Opening Statement and Closing Argument”; “Trying The Business Punitive Damages Case”, Association of Business Trial Lawyers 30th Annual Seminar (Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 2003)
- Moderator, “When Things Go Wrong”, Association of Business Trial Lawyers 33rd Annual Conference, (Maui, Hawaii, October 2006)”
- Elected to the 2004 Presidential Elector College
- Commissioner, Orange County Sheriff’s Advisory Council (2005 – present)
- Pepperdine University, School of Law, Board of Visitors (2008 – present)
Mr. Bohm possesses a broad range of extensive trial experience in major cases. Some examples of Mr. Bohm’s verdicts and awards obtained on behalf of his clients have included:
- Successfully defended a law firm and one of its partners in a three week jury trial in Orange County Superior Court where breach of fiduciary duty and fraud claims exceeding $10 million were brought against the parties and recovered more money of the firm’s fee claim then was requested from the jury.
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict in favor of our client, a Russian businessman, against an international software company in a breach of contract action.
- Successfully prosecuted a defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress claim resulting in a jury verdict of $400,000 in favor of our clients.
- Successfully obtained a $2 million award for a Fortune 500 client following an extensive jury trial in Los Angeles Superior Court where claims of over $12 million were brought against that client relating to the divestiture of one of its subsidiaries.
- Successfully represented Walt Disney’s grandson in removing the trustee from two trusts after a two week trial in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Successfully tried a trust matter in Los Angeles Superior Court resulting in a payment of $500,000 a year for life to our client’s interests.
- Successfully defended a real estate agent alleged to have breached her fiduciary duties to her client by purchasing her client’s prospective property and obtaining a secret profit therefrom. No resulting liability attached to the agent.
- Successfully obtained a fraud verdict against a publicly traded leasing company in favor of a major wholesale food distributor, in claims relating to the leasing company’s contract and selling practices. This was the first successful lawsuit in over 200 similar cases wherein a verdict against the leasing company was obtained. The leasing company was represented by one of the nation’s top law firms and spent over $5 million in attorney’s fees.
- Successfully defended a company that was alleged to be a joint venture partner with a debtor company, in an action brought by the debtor company’s creditor, resulting in no liability to the client.
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict in excess of $300,000 for a property owner client whose property sustained water damage from an adjoining landowner.
- Successfully obtained a complete defense verdict after a six week jury trial wherein our client, the president of an automobile manufacturing company, was accused of fraud, conversion and securities violations by an investor in and creditor of his company. Plaintiffs sought over $12 million in damages and were represented by a nationally known trial lawyer. It was reported that this attorney had never previously “lost a case”. Plaintiffs spent millions of dollars in prosecuting the matter and had up to seven lawyers representing them at trial. Our client had only one lawyer defending the case: James G. Bohm.
- Successfully tried a major personal injury matter resulting in a seven figure payment to our client.”