Jeffrey R. Matsen
Of Counsel to Bohm Wildish & Matsen, LLP, Jeff is entirely dedicated to providing his clients with the quality, professionalism and integrity they deserve. Jeff has been practicing in the area of Estate Planning and Business Transactional law since 1971. He has nurtured and developed a dedicated team and staff with over 100 years of combined experience in Trust and Estate Administration and Litigation. Jeff is also well versed in the areas of international law and domestic and offshore asset protection law. His close ties with respected attorneys across the globe, financial advisers and certified public accountants, provides our clients with access to experienced and ethical professionals to assist with real estate investment and purchases, land development, business acquisitions and sales, and domestic and foreign investment.
Jeff is a nationally sought after lecturer and speaker in the areas of Asset Protection, Estate and Business Planning, and LLC business formation; dedicating his time and knowledge to provide continuing education to thousands of attorneys, CPAs and planning professionals each year. He is the author of the American Bar Association publication, “ABA Consumer Guide to Asset Protection A Step-By-Step Guide to Preserving Wealth”. He and his wife, Susan, reside in Newport Beach, California, and are the parents of seven children and seventeen grandchildren. Jeff was selected as the Orange County Father of the Year from the Orange County Father’s Day Council in 2007.
Practice Areas & Focus
- Asset Protection
- Business and Succession Planning
- Business Law
- Commercial & Corporate
- Conservatorship & Guardianship
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Family Law
- International Law
- Real Estate Law
- Retirement Planning
- Tax Law
- Brigham Young University, B.A., cum laude, 1964
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1967
- State Bar of California, 1968
- United States District Court (Central District of California), 1968
- United States Tax Court. 1972
- United States Supreme Court, District of Columbia, 1974
- American Bar Association (Member, Real Property, Probate and Trusts Sections)
- International Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (‘STEP’)
- Center for International Legal Studies, Faculty Member, Salzburg, Austria
- Orange County’s Center Club
- Board of Counselors, Orange County Symphony Orchestra
- Vice Chairman, Rancho Del Mar District of the Boy Scouts of America
- “America’s Top 100 Attorneys”, Worth magazine
- California’s “Super Lawyers”, Los Angeles Magazine
- “O.C.’s Top Lawyers”, OC Metro magazine
- “10/10 Superb”, AVVO
- Highest “AV rating” and “Preeminent Lawyer”, Martindale-Hubbell.
- Orange County Father of the Year from the Orange County Father’s Day Council, 2007.
- “The ABA Consumer Guide to Asset Protection: A Step-by-Step Guide to Preserving Wealth”, 2015
- “Asset Protection Planning,” The Association of California Business Trial Lawyers, Winter 2004 Journal;
- “Establishing the Price of Closely Held Business Buy-Sell Agreements,” The Journal of Corporate Taxation, Volume 5, No. 2;
- “A New Look at Business Buyout Agreements,” The Practical Lawyer, Volume 25, No. 5;
- “Formulating Buy-Sell Agreements and Valuing Closely Held Stock,” California Closely Held Corporations Tax Planning and Practice Guide, Volume 3, Chapter 41, Matthew Bender, 1987.
- Seminar Materials on “International Trust and Business Entities for Lawyering in International Market,” Center for International Legal Studies, April 2007.
- “Wisdom for the Wealthy: Solving the High net Worth Planning Puzzle”, 2015
- “Limited Liability Companies,” National Business Institute, June 2007;
- “Domestic Asset Protection Planning Advanced Course Study,” Seminar Materials, Presented by the California Continuing Education of the Bar, April 2007;
- “An Attorney’s Guide to Asset Protection,” National Business Institute, March 2007;
- “Advanced Estate Planning and Asset Protection Techniques,” National Business Institute, January 2007;
- “Asset Protection Planning: Bullet Proofing Techniques for California Attorneys” National Business Institute, September 2006;
- “Asset Protection Planning,” National Business Institute, June 2006;
- “The Ins and Outs of Limited Liability Companies in California,” National Business Institute, April 2005;
- “Better Asset Planning: Understanding the Theory Behind the Methodologies in California,” National Business Institute, March 2005;
- “Understanding Family Limited Partnerships in California as a Tool in Estate Planning and Asset Protection,” National Business Institute, December 2004;
- “Asset Protection Techniques in California,” National Business Institute, October 2003;
- “A Primer on S Corporations: Tax and Non Tax Issues,” Lorman Business Center, July 2003;
- “Partnerships, LLCs and LLPs Organization and Operation,” and “Selecting and Forming Business Entities in California,” Lorman Education Services, July 1999;
- Business Appraisal, National Society of Appraiser Specialists
- Managed and coached Little League, Pony League Baseball and Youth All Star Basketball
- Presents continuing education seminars for the California State Bar, the National Business Institute, the Advisors Forum, and Wealth Counsel on the subjects of estate planning, asset protection and entity formation.
- Law school Associate Professorships in the fields of Business Planning, Estate Planning, and Advanced Taxation.
- Fellow of The Center of International Legal Studies in Salzburg, Austria, Jeff has served as a visiting professor at the law school in Maribor, Slovenia.
- United States Marine Corps, Judge Advocate, Captain, 1968-1971